Tuesday, July 5, 2011

What does D.C. stand for in Washington D.C.?


4th of July Surprise from Taurus

Happy 4th of July everyone! Although I'm living in Oz, I haven't forgotten all the great holidays I would normally celebrate if I were at home and today was no exception.

Since the weekend, everyone has been asking me what I'm doing to celebrate. Since Friday the 1st of July, I've been celebrating with expat Canadians and Americans toasting to Canada Day and Independence Day - and these expats really know how to party! I have even witnessed a 'full mountie' show!

I do wish I was at the beach watching fireworks and drinking a Bud with all my American friends, but I'm glad I am surrounded by such caring people who want to make me feel at home.

Today, on the 5th of July (the 4th in the States), I walked into the office in typical fashion - right at 8:15am ready to turn on my computer. I'm usually the second one in, but today everyone was already in and shouted 'Happy 4th of July!'. To my surprise, my desk was covered in American flags, streamers and pom poms. In front of my key board was a gift basket full of American goodies; A&W root beer, Reese's pieces, Hershey's cookies & cream and donuts. I love that the donuts made it - does this say something about how non-Americans perceive what Americans love? I blame the movies and their stereotype of police officers and Homer Simpson.

For lunch, I planned a quiz lunch complete with hamburgers and fries. Everyone paired up and we went through four rounds of trivia including history, geography, pop culture and sports questions. The history and geography questions were correctly answered by only an average of 3 out of 10 questions. Pop culture and sports were correctly answered as high as 8 of 10! No one got the answer for what does D.C. stand for in Washington D.C. YIKES! In the end, the winners were the two youngest people in the office Jason and Graham our social media guy and intern. Second place went to the two oldest people in the office - the CEO and her number 2 (both named Sharon!)

See if you can answer any of these questions:
  • What number president is Barack Obama?
  • Who is on the $20 bill?
  • Which state is the farthest South?
  • Which state is the fattest state in the US?
  • Who is the second richest American?
  • Who is the most bestselling children’s author?
  • Who is the highest paid female athlete?
  • What decade saw NFL jerseys display names?


What a fantastic day. All I can think is: What an amazing group of people I work with! I'm so lucky to be in an office where we not only celebrate each other's holidays, but are curious to know more.

*Answers: 44, Andrew Jackson, Hawaii, Mississippi, Warren Buffet, Dr. Seuss, Serena Williams, 1960s

No comments:

How long have I been here?