Sunday, April 15, 2012

Three Cheers for the Waves


What We Look Like in Direct Kicks Practice

This week Sydney faced one of the coldest weeks since last winter. When I say cold, it was probably 12 degrees Celsius. I've been driving around Sydney on my scooter now for two weeks and riding out to practice with only a fleece sweater made for some serious teeth chattering in my helmet and stiff hands while gripping the handles to keep control of the bike in the wavering wind.

League matches began the last weekend of March and we played the last team I wanted to face - Maccabi, my old club. The last time these two teams met, I scored the career goal of my life - a beautiful goal from a corner kick!

Thankfully, seeing my former teammates went rather well. The result was the opposite. Youth was on their side, running circles around us without a drop of sweat! After the huge upset (5-1), we knew we had a lot to work on. We had a good two weeks off because of Easter and were back to business.

One area of the game we needed to work on was free kicks - in both wall formation and shooting. We stayed 30 minutes after regular practice time to do some extra shooting. Little did we know that this drill would prove useful in our second match of the season against our rivals - The Dunbar Rovers.

We had not one, not two, but three chances to get one in the back of the net with free kicks!

In the end, we tied the Rovers. We scored first with a slider from Kim, our newly appointed Captain. They scored late in the game when they were awarded a penalty kick for 'tripping over their shoelace.'

We out-shot our rivals having chances at goal for nearly 10 times! It wasn't our day. We will see them again in regular season, but we aren't worried - we just need to get our shots in the goal!

The end of the game ending with a chant I've only experienced in Oz. It's applicable to birthdays after the celebrant blows out the candles.

"Three Cheers for Dunbar!"
"Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray"

"Three Cheers for the ref!"
"Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray"

"Three Cheers for Waverley!"
"Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray"


To read the match report, click here: http://www.waverleyoldboys.com/JPG/1Reports/aaw2-1504.pdf



New Fan Club & Seating

During the match, our coach's friends showed up with a lovely red sofa they found off the street. I can vouch for street furniture because many of my apartment furnishing can be attributed to such treasures. It was in very good condition - very similar to the IKEA style (MSRP AUD $400) often sold on Gumtree.com.au by expats moving away. 


First Team Photo
Loving the Red Couch!


Enjoying Post Game Lunch at The Local Taphouse
Loving Instagram!

During the week I suggested to the team we go to The Local Taphouse for lunch, on the corner of South Dowling and Flinders in Darlinghurst - a few hundred meters from our field at Moore Park. This year, Sydney Morning Herald Good Pub Guide named their burger Best Burger. Many of the girls were enticed and a few joined me for a delicious post-game lunch.

We didn't win today, but we surely bonded. Often times, that's what it takes to play better as a team. You've got to know and trust those around you. When you're comfortable with your team, you work in sync knowing where they are and what they'll do with the ball.

Our next game is on Sunday against Sydney University. They weren't in this All Age Women's Division 2 league last year, so it'll be interesting to play an unknown team. They could be great. They could be awful. They could be just our speed, but I'm pumped to get a win on the board.


Weekly Team Newsletter

Each week our Team Manager Sarah sends us a 'mini-newsletter' for the upcoming match. Her dogs Janet and Brian have their own column like Dear Abby. Not only are they informative, but they make an appearance at each of our games. Quite the celebrities in the Waverley Old Boys circle!

My next 'fancy dress' party is with the soccer club and the theme could not be more fitting for me - U.S.A! As one of the handful of Americans new to the club, I need to represent big time. The worry is that I don't want to show up with the same costume as someone else. All I've got so far is the Statue of Liberty or Colonel Sanders. Please send me your suggestions!

No comments:

How long have I been here?